Black Bean, Pasta, and Artichoke Heart Medley
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 12
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 1/4-1/2 oz cans no-added-salt whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups hot cooked pasta (any shape)
- 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add green onions and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add oregano, basil, salt, peppers, garlic, and tomatoes; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add beans; cover and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Combine bean mixture, hot cooked pasta, and artichoke hearts in a large bowl. Toss
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 15 % Daily Value (DV)*
Total Fat 2g 3%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 330mg 14%
Total Carbohydrate 21g 7%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 15%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Diabetic Exchange
** Fruit: 0 Vegetables: 1 Meat: 0 Milk: 0 Fat: 0 Carbs: 1 Other: 0
** Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association
Exchange System. This site rounds exchanges up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore,
partial exchanges are not included. Source: 5 A Day for Better Health: cdc.gov