Black Bean Soup with Lime and Cumin
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person:
- 4 cups cooked black beans
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup chopped chipotle chiles (or green chiles)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp lime juice
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick or heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium heat.
- Add cumin, chopped onions, carrots, garlic and bell pepper and cook slowly until
- Puree the beans with 4 cups stock in a blender or food processor.
- Add the vegetable mixture, 1/2 canned chipotle chiles, 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp lime
juice, and salt to taste.
- Process until velvety smooth. If the soup is too thick, thin it with more stock.
- Garnish each serving with a slice of lime floating in the middle and a sprinkling
of finely chopped cilantro.
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 30 % Daily Value (DV)*
Total Fat 3g 5%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 150mg 6%
Total Carbohydrate 37g 12%
Dietary Fiber 12g 48%
Vitamin A 80%
Vitamin C 60%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Diabetic Exchange
** Fruit: 0 Vegetables: 1 Meat: 0 Milk: 0 Fat: 0 Carbs: 2 Other: 0
** Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association
Exchange System. This site rounds exchanges up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore,
partial exchanges are not included. Source:
5 A Day for Better Health: cdc.gov