Caribbean Pink Beans
- 1 pound pink beans
- 10 cups water
- 2 medium plantains, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Option: Serve with rice.
- Rinse and pick through the beans.
- Put the beans in a large pot and add 10 cups of
- Place the pot in the refrigerator and allow the beans to soak overnight.
Cook the beans until they are soft.
Add more water as needed while the beans are
- Add the plantains, tomato, pepper, onion, garlic, and salt.
cooking at low heat until the plantains are soft.
Yield: 16 servings--Serving size: 1/2 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: Less than 1 g
- Saturated fat: Less than 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 205 mg
Calcium: 39 mg
Iron: 2 mg
SOURCE: National Heart, Lung, and Blood
Institute (part of the National Institutes of Health and the U.S. Department of
Health and Human Services)