Declare War on Sugar
By now, most of you know that we eat and drink way too much sugar. The high sugar levels that we eat cause obesity, diabetes, dental cavities, and other health issues. Sugar is the enemy!
These high sugar levels are found in our juices, sodas, snacks, sauces like barbecue; make your own long list. There are so many ways to eat sugar, that most of us cannot stop. And, that's because food manufacturers and marketers understand that our brains go crazy over sugar. Some of us cannot control our desire to drink and eat sugared foods.
There are many problems with sugar:
- Sugar has no nutrients for our bodies.
- Sugar is processed very quickly by our bodies, causing us to feel hungry very soon.
- Our brains love sugar. When we eat sugar our brains rewards us by releasing "dopamine" a chemical that makes us feel very good. This leads to a sugar high followed by a sugar low. This causes us to eat more sugar and calories.
- Sugar contains 4 calories per gram. That may not sound like much but, the drive, thanks to advertising and marketing we eat and drink more sugared foods quickly adding up the calories that helps to cause obesity.
- Sugar sweetened sodas drunk by the average American has grown by roughly 500% from 1950 to the present. These Americans add around 500 calories per week from sugared drinks.
- Sugar is so cheap, it can be used as a flavor-filler at low cost. To make matters worse, the American government gives the corn-industry subsidies that keep the sweetener cheap.
While many of us are enjoying the low cost of sugar, there is a long term price we will pay in the near future - Obesity, diabetes and a life-changing set of diabetes complications.
- Sugar lobbyists have pushed the government for decades to allow Stevia, a natural low calorie sweetener from being sold in the U.S.
Sugar War Strategy Tactics
We must declare war on sugar to reduce the amount of non-nutritional calories we eat. This war is serious - this is life and death struggle. Our survival and the health of our children is at stake. According to the CDC:
- 2007: 71,382 people died from diabetes complications.
- In 2005, many diabetics suffered amputation (underestimated by the CDC):
- Below the knee amputation - 1,200
- Above the knee amputation - 600
Many State and City government are planning to charge 1 to 2 cents per ounce of sugared drink. This equals to $0.68 for a 2 liter bottle of soda. This money can pay for medical bills for the people who eat too much sugar. The government can help the cause by cutting sugar, and corn subsidies which keep the price of sugar and corn syrup artificially low. Higher sugar prices will cause manufactures to use less and people to eat less sugar.
- We have to develop a new relationship with sugared foods. Sugared foods can no longer turn us into mindless zombies who eat sugar without control.
More of us, and especially diabetics have to reduce sugar in our diet by:
- Eat foods with less sugar in them. Read the Nutrition Facts label on packaged foods. There is a lot of info on carbs, sugar, and dietary fiber.
- Substituting sugar with natural low calorie sweeteners like Stevia brands like, Purevia©, Truvia©, and many sugar alcohols.
- Substituting sugar with artificial low calorie sweeteners like Splenda©, Equal©, and Sweet 'N Low© (although I would not use Equal© or Sweet 'N Low©.)
Sugar War Tactics
Fight a war against sugar that will last a lifetime. We must identify friend and foe to insure we win. To win this war we need to always be aware of which foods contain high sugar levels. We must view some companies as the enemy. These are the companies that add extra sugar to our foods. They are not focused on our good health. They are focused on selling more sugar for profit; More calories, body fat, and diabetes for us and more sales, and profit for them.