Firehouse Lentil Soup
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person: 1
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked lentils
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 oz can diced green chilies, undrained
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Place first 6 ingredients in large pot.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of lentils and puree with green chilies in blender.
- Add back to the soup.
- Add bell peppers and carrots and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaves before serving and serve with lime juice and olive oil.
Size: 1/6 recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 25 % Daily Value (DV)*
Total Fat 3g 5%
Saturated Fat 1g 3%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 80mg 3%
Total Carbohydrate 32g 11%
Dietary Fiber 12g 48%
Vitamin A 40%
Vitamin C 80%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
** Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association
Exchange System. This site rounds exchanges up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore,
partial exchanges are not included.
Source: 5 A Day for Better Health: cdc.gov