Grilled Eggplant Tomato Sandwiches
A meatless sandwich that is immensely satisfying.
Preparation time: 30 minutes or less
Servings: 4. 5 A Day servings: 2.
- 1 medium italian eggplant cut into ½ inch slices
- 3 Tbsp. finely minced fresh basil
- 8 (½ inch) slices, crusty bread
- fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup crumbled Feta cheese (optional)
- Do not peel eggplant.
- Remove end and cut into ½-inch slices.
both sides with salt and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Thoroughly rinse slices
to remove all salt and drain on absorbent paper.
- Combine olive oil and garlic
and lightly brush each slice.
- Grill over MEDIUM HIGH heat on gas grill or broil
- When soft, remove immediately and sprinkle with basil.
Meanwhile, slice tomatoes into ¨÷ -inch thick slices and season with black pepper.
Arrange tomatoes and eggplant on 4 slices of bread. Season with pepper and add crumbled
Feta cheese, if desired.
- Top with second slice of bread and serve immediately.
Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamins A and C, folate, potassium
and fiber, and a good source of magnesium.
*Optional ingredients are not included in dietary analysis.
Amount per Serving
% of Calories from Fat: 25%
Total Fat: 7.9g Cholesterol: 0mg
Saturated Fat: 1.4g
Dietary Fiber: 8g
Credit: Recipe courtesy of Produce for Better
Health Foundation (PBH). This recipe meets PBH and Centers for Disease Control &
Prevention (CDC) nutrition standards that maintain fruits and vegetables as healthy