Grilled Veggie Sandwich
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Number of Servings: 6 Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person: 2
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 6 large Portobello mushrooms
- 6 large red bell peppers
- 6 slices red onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup low fat Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Begin by grilling all the vegetables carefully so they do not fall apart.
- Once the vegetables are grilled, place them on the bottom half of the buns.
- Sprinkle the veggies with the cheese letting them melt onto the veggies.
- Place the top on your sandwich. If desired, wrap whole sandwich in aluminum foil
and place on warm grill to melt the cheese even more.
- Serve warm with carrots and cucumbers as sides.
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories
190 Calories from Fat 20 % Daily Value (DV)*
Total Fat 3g 4%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 280mg 12%
Total Carbohydrate 36g 12%
Dietary Fiber 7g 28%
Vitamin A 190%
Vitamin C 520%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
** Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association
Exchange System. This site rounds exchanges up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore,
partial exchanges are not included. Source:
5 A Day for Better Health: cdc.gov