2 hours, 30 minutes
Number of Servings:
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person: 2
- 1/2 cup lentils, uncooked
- 1/4 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup fat-free ranch salad dressing
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups salad greens, chopped
- 2 large whole wheat pita breads, halved and opened into pockets
- Rinse lentils.
- In small saucepan, combine lentils, rice, and water.
- Cook over high heat until boiling, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Drain, and cool slightly.
- Stir in green onions, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, dressing, basil, parsley, and
- Chill several hours or overnight.
- Add to salad greens.
- Spoon mixture into pita pockets to serve.
1/4 of recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 15 % Daily Value (DV)*
Total Fat 2g 2%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 370mg 15%
Total Carbohydrate 56g 19%
Dietary Fiber 9g 36%
Vitamin A 180%
Vitamin C 40%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
** Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association
Exchange System. This site rounds exchanges up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore,
partial exchanges are not included. Source: 5 A Day for Better Health: cdc.gov