Mexibean Mock Lasagna
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person: 3
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1-1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 15 oz can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup no added salt tomato sauce
- 4 oz can diced green chilies, drained
- nonstick cooking spray
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 cup fat free ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Sauté onion, garlic, and peppers
for 5 minutes.
- Stir in spices and sauté 1 additional minute. Remove from heat.
- Mix in corn, beans, tomato sauce, and diced green chilies.
- Spray 13” x 9” dish with cooking spray.
- Place 3 tortillas in the dish arranging to cover the bottom.
- Spoon in half of the corn mixture, and spread ˝ cup ricotta cheese on top.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheddar cheese.
- Repeat layers, using up all the ingredients.
- Cook, uncovered at 350°F for 45 minutes, until casserole is thoroughly heated and
cheddar cheese has melted.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
** Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association
Exchange System. This site rounds exchanges up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore,
partial exchanges are not included. Source: 5 A Day for Better Health: cdc.gov
Calories 340 Calories from Fat 45 % Daily Value (DV)* Total Fat 5g 8% Saturated
Fat 1g 5% Cholesterol 10mg 3% Sodium 600mg 25% Total Carbohydrate 53g 18% Dietary
Fiber 13g 52% Sugars 10g Protein 18g Vitamin A 30% Vitamin C 140% Calcium 25% Iron
20% * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.