- 2 pounds lean beef, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 can (15 ounce) stewed tomatoes
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 1 can (1 lb. 13 ounce) hominy
Option: Skinless, boneless chicken breasts may be used instead of beef cubes.
- In a large pot, heat oil. Saute beef.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cilantro, and enough water to cover the meat. Cover
pot and cook over low heat until meat is tender.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Continue cooking for about 20 minutes.
- Add hominy and continue cooking another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, over
low heat. If too thick, add water for desired consistency.
Yield: 10 servings--
Serving size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
Total fat: 10 g
Saturated fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 52 mg
Sodium: 425 mg
Calcium: 28 mg
Iron: 3 mg
SOURCE: National Heart, Lung, and Blood
Institute, part of the National Institutes of Health and the U.S. Department of
Health and Human Services