Preparation Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 9
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person: 2
- 1 lb low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 lb low-fat or part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz whole wheat lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 1 cup onion (1 large), minced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1-1/2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium red sauce of your choice
- Puree cottage cheese, ricotta, egg whites and Parmesan.
- Blend in chives, parsley and pepper by hand.
- In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook lasagna noodles until just
tender but not mushy, about 10 minutes.
- Remove noodles with a slotted spoon, dip into cold water and lay out flat on clean
kitchen towels (not paper towel, or they will stick).
- In covered skillet, simmer onions in wine for about 5 minutes until very soft. Stir
frequently, but keep pot covered in between stirrings.
- Add mushrooms and zucchini and cook until soft and half their original volume, about
- Drain the vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Combine the cheese mixture and all but 1/4 cup of the mushroom mixture.
- Spread 2 cups red sauce in the bottom of a 9-by-14 inch baking pan.
- Alternate layers of noodles and cheese mixture ending with a final layer of noodles.
- Cover with remaining sauce.
- Distribute reserved mushrooms over top.
- Bake, covered, for 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake for 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before cutting.
Serving Size: 1/9 of recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 35 % Daily Value (DV)*
Total Fat 4g 5%
Saturated Fat 2g 8%
Cholesterol 10mg 3%
Sodium 90mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate 33g 11%
Dietary Fiber 6g 24%
Vitamin A 25%
Vitamin C 30%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
** Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association
Exchange System. This site rounds exchanges up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore,
partial exchanges are not included.
Source: 5 A Day for Better Health: cdc.gov