This tasty dish provides a healthy array of vegetables and can be used for breakfast,
brunch, or any meal! Serve with fresh fruit salad and a dinner roll.
- 5 small potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup green/red peppers, sliced thin
- 5 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 3 whole eggs, beaten
- 5 egg whites, beaten
- Pepper and garlic salt with herbs, to taste
- 3 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
Yield: 5 servings
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender.
In a nonstick pan, add oil or vegetable spray and warm at medium heat.
- Add the
onion and sauté until brown. Add vegetables and sauté until tender but not brown.
In a medium mixing bowl, slightly beat the eggs and egg whites, pepper, garlic salt,
and mozzarella cheese. Stir egg-cheese mixture into the cooked vegetables.
or spray a 10-inch pie pan or ovenproof skillet. Transfer potatoes and eggs mixture
to pan. Spread with parmesan cheese and bake omelet until firm and brown on top,
about 20-30 minutes.
Serving size: 1/5 of omelet
Amount Per Servings
Carbohydrate: 18 grams
Protein: 19 grams
Fat: 9 grams
Daily Servings According to Diabetes Food Guide Pyramid: serving from
Grains/Beans/Starchy Vegetable group: 1 serving from Meat group: 1 serving from
Fat: 1/2 Source: ndep.nih.gov