Tomato Basil Open-Faced Sandwich
Crusty bread smothered in fresh basil and red-ripe tomatoes.
Preparation time: 30 minutes or less Servings:
5 A Day servings: ½.
- 1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. finely minced fresh basil
- 8 ¾-inch slices, crusty hearth style bread
- 16-24 fresh basil leaves, enough to cover bread slices
- 4 medium red ripe tomatoes, stem end removed
- Salt (optional)
ground black pepper
Optional ingredients are not included in dietary analysis.
- Gently heat oil and garlic in small skillet over MEDIUM heat.
- Add minced basil and stir well.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool.
- Lightly toast slices of bread and brush lightly with flavored, cooled oil.
- Place oil-side up and layer with fresh basil leaves, about 2 or 3 per toast.
- Slice tomatoes and arrange slices over basil leaves.
- Sprinkle with optional salt and a grinding of fresh black pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C and calcium,
and a good source of potassium and fiber.
Amount per Serving
Total Fat: 6.8g
Saturated Fat: 1.1g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
% of Calories from Fat: 33%
Credit: Recipe courtesy of Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH). This recipe
meets PBH and Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) nutrition standards
that maintain fruits and vegetables as healthy foods.