Tropical Fruit Compote
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 piece lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon rum or vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 pineapple cored and peeled, cut into 8 slices
- 2 mangos peeled and pitted, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 bananas peeled, cut into 8 diagonal pieces fresh mint leaves (optional)
Yield: 8 servings
- In a saucepan combine 3/4 cup of water with the sugar, lemon juice, and lemon peel
(and rum or vanilla extract if desired). Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and
add the fruit.
- Cook at a very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour the syrup in a cup. Remove the lemon rind and cool the cooked fruit for 2 hours.
- To serve the compote, arrange the fruit in a serving dish and pour a few teaspoons
of syrup over the fruit.
- Garnish with mint leaves.
- Serve with Homemade Sour Cream
Serving size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
Total fat: Less than 1 g
Saturated fat: Less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 3 mg
Calcium: 15 mg
Iron: Less than 1 mg
SOURCE: National Heart, Lung, and Blood
Institute (part of the National Institutes of Health and the U.S. Department of
Health and Human Services)