Black-eyed Pea Salad is low calorie, low fat, and delicious salad that can be eaten|
as a snack. The black-eyed peas and vegetables will stay in your stomach a long
time a prevent you from feeling very hungry until your next meal. Try it –You’ll
Preparation Time: 9 hours, 15 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person:
- 1-1/2 cup, water
- 1 medium onion, cut in half
- 1/2 tsp,
- salt 1/2 tsp, cayenne pepper
- 16 oz package, frozen black-eyed peas
- 1/3 cup, red onion rings
- 4 cups, leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup, chopped red bell pepper
- 3 Tbsp, chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup, red wine vinegar
- Combine water, onion, salt, cayenne pepper, and liquid smoke in a medium saucepan;
bring to a boil.
- Add peas and return to a boil Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40-45 minutes or until
peas are tender.
- Remove and discard onion; drain well. Rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Transfer to a medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine red pepper, parsley, vinegar, water, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and
- Pour over peas, tossing gently to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add red onion just before serving.
- Serve over lettuce leaves on individual plates.
Serving Size: 1/6 recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 120 Calories from Fat 15
% Daily Value (DV)*
Total Fat 2g 2%
Sodium 430mg 18%
Total Carbohydrate 20g 7%
Vitamins and Minerals
Vitamin A 30%
Vitamin C 60%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie
** Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association
Exchange System. This site rounds exchanges up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore,
partial exchanges are not included.
Source: 5 A Day for Better Health: cdc.gov