- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 pound ground lean beef
- 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon annato (achiote)
- 1 bay leaf 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mint (yerbabuena)
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 4 tablespoons instant corn flour (masa harina)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium chayote (christophine), chopped
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 10-ounce package frozen corn
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, minced
- In a large pot, combine water, annato, bay leaf, half of the onion, green pepper,
and 1/2 teaspoon of mint. Bring to a boil.
- In a bowl, combine chicken and beef, the other half of the onion, tomato, oregano,
corn flour, pepper, garlic, and salt. Mix well.
- Form 1-inch meatballs.
- Place meatballs in boiling water and lower heat.
- Cook over low heat for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Add carrots, chayote, cabbage,
- Cook over low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add corn and zucchini and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and the rest of the mint.
Yield: 8 servings–
Serving size: 1 1/4 cups
Amount Per Serving
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 31 mg
Sodium: 193 mg
Calcium: 47 mg
Iron: 2 mg
SOURCE: National Heart, Lung, and Blood
Institute, part of the National Institutes of Health and the U.S. Department of
Health and Human Services