A hearty bean soup flavored with healthy chopped greens and diced tomato. |
Preparation time: 2 hours plus soaking time
5 A Day servings: ?.
- 1 lb. pinto beans, sorted, washed and soaked in water for 12 hours or overnight
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 ? tsp. cumin seed
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke flavoring
- 4 cups finely chopped frozen kale, collards, or mustard greens, cooked
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 to 1 ? Tbsp. cider vinegar
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups diced fresh tomato
- ? cup low-fat yogurt
- Drain soaked beans and place in a heavy, deep non-aluminum pan.
- Add garlic, onion, cumin seed, red pepper flakes and enough water to cover by 2
- Bring to boil and lower to simmer and cook, covered, about 1-1? hours. Add more
water as needed.
- Stir often and cook until beans are tender.
- Using about half of the bean mixture, carefully puree in blender.
- Return to pot with other beans.
- Add cilantro and smoke flavoring.
- Continue to cook for 10-15 minutes, covered.
- If necessary, add water or low-sodium chicken broth to thin soup.
- Cook greens as directed on package.
- Toss greens with olive oil and stir into soup with salt and vinegar to taste.
To serve, season with ground pepper. Spoon hot soup into bowls and top with ? cup
chopped tomatoes and a tablespoon of yogurt. Each serving provides: An excellent
source of vitamins A and C, folate, magnesium, potassium and fiber, and a good source
Calories: 258 Carbohydrates:
42g Total Fat: 4.9g Cholesterol: 1mg Saturated Fat: 0.8g Dietary Fiber: 11g % of
Calories from Fat: 16% Sodium: 325mg Protein: 15g Credit: Recipe courtesy of Produce
for Better Health Foundation (PBH). This recipe meets PBH and Centers for Disease
Control & Prevention (CDC) nutrition standards that maintain fruits and vegetables
as healthy foods. Source: 5aday.com SLT- Le Creuset Rounch French Ovens $159.95
– $235.00 perfect for making soups and stews.