Colorful and full of crunch, this salad will please even the non-veggie people!|
Preparation time: 30 minutes
5 A Day servings: 1
- 2 – 11 oz. cans of mandarin orange sections, well drained
- 1 Orange, grated peel and juice
- Salt and pepper, optional*
- Steam broccoli florets in covered saucepan for 3 minutes only.
- Remove quickly and rinse with cold running water until broccoli is no longer warm.
- Do not cook further.
- Place in serving bowl and chill, covered.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, combine almonds, drained mandarin oranges, grated
peel and juice from orange, green onions, and remaining ingredients except for salt
- Toss gently and allow to stand at room temperature for about 15 to 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, pour marinated orange mixture on chilled broccoli and toss
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired, and serve.*
Chef’s Notes: Vividly green vegetables such
as green beans, cucumbers, broccoli, and zucchini will slowly turn a drab yellow-green
color when in the presence of acids for a moderate period. To keep this salad bright
in color, the orange-flavored salad dressing is added just before serving.
*Optional ingredients are not included in dietary analysis.
Each serving provides: An excellent source of vitamins A and C, and a good source
of folate and fiber.
% of Calories from Fat: 33%
Total Fat: 3.4g
Credit: Recipe was developed for Produce
for Better Health Foundation (PBH) by Chef Carmen I. Jones, CCP. This recipe meets
PBH and Centers for disease Control & Prevention (CDC) nutrition standards that
maintain fruits and vegetables as healthy foods.