This recipe for Curried Mustard Greens & Garbanzo Beans with Sweet Potatoes|
is a quick delicious balanced near vegetarian meal. The flavor of the garlic, mustard
greens and sweet potatoes is mouth watering. It is wonderful for people with diabetes
or people on restricted fats and cholesterol diet plan.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person: 2
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and sliced thin
- 1 medium onion cut in half and sliced thin
- 2 medium cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup +1 Tbsp low-sodium chicken or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped and rinsed mustard greens
- 1 15 oz can sodium free diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Steam peeled and sliced sweet potatoes for approximately 5 Ð 8 minutes.
- While steaming potatoes, slice onion and garlic.
- Heat 1 Tbsp broth in 12 inch skillet.
- Saut onion in broth over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes stirring frequently,
- Add garlic, curry powder, turmeric, and mustard greens.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until mustard greens are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans, diced tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Mash sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- If you need to thin potatoes, add a little more broth.
- Serve mustard greens with mashed sweet potatoes.
Curried Mustard Greens & Garbanzo Beans with Sweet Potatoes
Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 300 Calories from Fat 70
% Daily Value (DV)*
Total Fat 8g 12%
Sodium 600mg 25%
Total Carbohydrate 50g 17%
Dietary Vitamins and Dietary Minerals
Vitamin A 260%
Vitamin C 50%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
** Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association
Exchange System. This site rounds exchanges up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore,
partial exchanges are not included.
Source: 5 A Day for Better Health: cdc.gov