Lemon Bulgur and Chickpea Pilaf
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 6
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person:
- 1 cup medium grind bulgur
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Place bulgur in a bowl.
- Bring stock to a boil, add half the cumin, and pour stock over bulgur.
- Stir once and let sit 10 to 15 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed
and bulgur is fluffy.
- Heat oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Saut onion, green pepper and half the garlic 3 to 5 minutes, stirring, until onion
- Add remaining garlic and cumin. Saut about 30 seconds.
- Stir in bulgur and chickpeas. Stir together a few minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, combine well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 35 % Daily Value (DV)*
Total Fat 4g 6%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 440mg 18%
Total Carbohydrate 22g 7%
Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
Vitamin A 15%
Vitamin C 50%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
** Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association
Exchange System. This site rounds exchanges up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore,
partial exchanges are not included. Source: 5 A Day for Better Health: cdc.gov