Rice with Chicken, Spanish Style
This is a good way to get vegetables into the meal plan. Serve with a mixed green
salad and some whole wheat bread.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery,
- 2 medium red/green peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 3-lb chicken, cut into 8 pieces, skin removed
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, fat removed
- 4 cups
water Saffron or Sazn, for color
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- Olives or capers
for garnish, if desired
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a nonstick pot.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, and mushrooms.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 3 minutes or until tender
- Add the rice and saut for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly until it begins to brown
Add the chicken, salt, chicken broth, water, saffron (Sazn), and tomatoes.
- Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer
Cover the pot and let the casserole simmer until the water is absorbed and rice
is tender, about 20 minutes
- Stir in the peas, corn, and beans, and cook for
- When everything is hot the casserole is ready to serve; garnish
with olives or capers, if desired.
Yield: 8 Servings
Serving size 1 cup
Amounts Per Serving
Carbohydrate 24 grams
Protein 27 grams
Fat 14 grams
*Daily Servings According to Diabetes Food Guide Pyramid: serving from Grains/Beans/Starcy
Vegetable group 1 serving from Meat group 1 serving from Vegetable group 1 serving
from Fat 1 Source: ndep.nih.gov