Preparation Time: 1 hour
Number of Servings: 6
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person: 0
- 1-1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1-1/2 cups long grain brown rice
- 3-3/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cups dry white wine
- 14 oz can tomatoes, chopped with juice
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp tarragon
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 green pepper, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 cups mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1/2 cup snow pea pods
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup cashew nut pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet and saut onions and garlic until soft.
- Add paprika and rice and continue to cook for 4 -5 minutes or until rice is transparent.
- Add stock, wine, tomatoes, tomato paste, and herbs and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add peppers, celery, mushrooms, and pea pods and continue to cook for another 30
minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Add peas, cashews, salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat through and place on a large heated serving dish.
Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 80 % Daily Value (DV)*
Total Fat 9g 14%
Saturated Fat 2g 8%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 290mg 12%
Total Carbohydrate 54g 18%
Dietary Fiber 6g 24%
Vitamin A 35%
Vitamin C 150%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
** Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association
Exchange System. This site rounds exchanges up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore,
partial exchanges are not included.
Source: 5 A Day for Better Health: cdc.gov